Lesson One 录音文稿
1. Abandon not your old clothes till you get your new.
2. Attitude is just as important as ability.
3. Absence sharpens love, presence strengthens it.
4. He that fears you present, will hate youabsent.
5. Absolute sincerity will move a heart of stone.
Lesson One 讲解要点
1. abandon vt. 弃（丢弃，抛弃，放弃）；放纵；
abandon medicine for literature 弃医从文
abandon the pen forthe sword 投笔从戎
2. ability n. 能力，才能
to the best of one's ability
（尽自己最大努力 using all one's ability; as well as one can）
as strong as a horse 力大如牛
as busy as a bee 像蜜蜂一样忙碌
as easy as ABC 像ABC一样容易
as deep as a well 像井一样深
as light as a feather 像羽毛一样轻
as soft as butter 像黄油一样软
asrich as a Jew 像犹太人一样富裕
as white as snow 像雪一样白
3. ①absence n. 缺席，不在场，缺乏
in the absence of （缺乏，不存在）
Don't speak ill of a person in his absence（当某人不在时）.
absence of mind 心不在焉
absence without leave 旷职（无故缺席，比如旷课）
②sharpen vt./vi. 磨快，加剧，使尖锐；变尖锐
sharpen one's ability 提高能力
sharpen one's wits 增长才智
③strengthen vt./vi. 加强，巩固
strengthen cooperaton 加强合作
strenghen discipline 加强纪律
strenghen legislation 加强立法
strenghen national defence 加强国防
strenghen physical capabilities 增强体力
4. absent adj. 不在场的，缺乏的，后面+ n./prep.；vt. 使缺席；
5. ① absolute adj. 绝对的，完全的，确实的（主要作定语）； n. 绝对的事物；
absolute advantage 绝对优势
absolute majority 绝对多数
absolute power 绝对权力
② sincerity n. 真诚，诚实，诚挚（sincere adj.）
in all sincerity（极其真诚地，衷心地，老实地）
③ move v. 推动，移动，搬家，使…感动；
④ have a heart of stone / be made of stone 铁石心肠；
have a heart of gold 有一颗金子般的心
Lesson One 学习活动
1. Whoever is abandoned by hope has also been abandoned by fear; this is the meaning of the word "desperate".
2. Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.
3. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
4. When a man is absent-minded, he looks but do not see; he hears but do not understand; he eats but do not know the flavor of the food.
5. Absolute sincerity can conquer all.