短语 take the plunge 往往用来形容我们下定决心做某件高难度的事情。
- I‘m going to take the plunge and move to France. I‘ve been dreaming of it for years and I‘m finally going to do it!
- My brother is going to take the plunge and quit his job. He‘s been meaning to leave for months.
- Let‘s take the plunge and buy a house!
值得注意的是，另一个从跳水运动演变而来的表达是 to dive / jump in with both feet, 两只脚一起跳下水。这个表达的意思是很快全身心地投入某件事情。
- Rachel jumped in with both feet when she started her new job. She learnt everything very quickly.
- When I started English lessons I dived in with both feet: I practised every day and rapidly improved.