1. reduce somebody to tears 使某人不禁流泪
He nagged and complained, and reduced Louise to tears.
2. somebody‘s eyes water(风、烟雾等) 使眼睛淌眼泪
Joe’s eyes were watering from the smoke that filled the room.
3. cry one‘s eyes out(口语)痛哭流涕，哭得很伤心
Cecil came round later, crying his eyes out, asking me to forgive him.
4. make somebody cry 让某人哭，惹某人哭
David often teases his little sister and makes her cry.
5. break down(因情绪失去控制而)痛哭，大哭
I left quickly，not wanting to break down in front of the children.
6. have a lump in one‘s throat(因感动、悲伤而)哽咽，喉咙哽住
There was a lump in my throat and I didn’t speak because I knew I would cry.
7. turn on the water works(口语)(撒娇)哭出来，(故意)哭起来
It’s no good turning on the water works. You can’t stay home from school.
8. be in tears 含泪，泪流满面
Most of us were in tears by the time he‘d finished his story.
9. have tears in one‘s eyes 眼里含着泪水
Jane turned to me with tears in her eyes, and Begged me to help her.
10. burst into tears 放声大哭，突然哭起来
Laura burst into tears and ran out of the room.
11. tears roll/run down one‘s cheeks 泪水顺着脸颊淌下来
He stood silently, tears rolling down his cheeks, while the music played.
12. fight back tears 抑制住泪水
Bill fought back his tears and tried to comfort Sarah’s mother.
13. bring tears to somebody‘s eyes (因伤感而)流泪。
The old song always brought tears to my eyes.
14. be close to tears/be on the verge of tears快要哭了
Her hands were shaking. She was on the verge of tears but Paul didn’t realize that.