我们用 make waves 来形容某人或事对外产生了影响，引起轰动，甚至制造风波。
- This footballer is really making waves. People are impressed by his consistently amazing performances.
- This news story is really making waves this week. Everyone is talking about it.
- In the conference, he talked about the gadgets that made waves last year.
值得注意的是，短语 wave goodbye to something 的意思是向某事或某物挥手告别，形容接受得不到某物的事实。
- I‘m always late for work at the moment. I think I can wave goodbye to a pay rise this year!
- If you want to get top grades, you can wave goodbye to your social life – you‘ll have to study every night.